10/11/2005

Helpful Exercises

Looking back on stuff that I've worked on that actually made a big difference there are two exercises that really stick out. The first one, which you can see here (trombone version here), is one that I got from my college professor, John Head. We started almost every lesson doing this in call and response. It was very beneficial in developing relaxation throughout the range of the horn and in keeping my articulation the same through the range of the horn. I still play this almost every day, usually in lessons with me now leading the call and response (it is important to hear how this exercise should be approached. It could be practiced in many ways that would not be very helpful). Because hearing it is such an important part of the excercise, I have recorded myself playing it with space for you to play each part after me (I add some extra partials beyond what is in the written exercise). Download it here. My goal when playing this is not so much having a great sound, but instead is staying as relaxed as possible and keeping my sound even throughout. If I can stay relaxed through the excercise I can then shape my sound how I want.

The other exercise is a tonguing exercise which you can see here (trombone version here). This is a slight variation of an exercise that I got from Gordon Vernick. Start very slowly and try to maintain a consistent articulation through the entire range. That means consistent sound and a consistent motion (It is a common tendency to draw the tongue back and up as one ascends. Try to avoid this).

Have fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home