2/05/2006

Norma

I have been working on a few of the cornet solos in the Arban lately and decided to record some. I have actually been working more on The Little Swiss Boy (#7), but recorded Norma (#12). I realized that I haven't really looked at the 3rd variation at all, so I'll record that in a few days. I have spent most of my time on Variation II, the triple tonguing variation.
Introduction
Theme
Variation I
Variation II

On the Intro, I was going for a cornet type sound, but I think it just sounds flat instead. I have not spent much time on the first variation and it shows, especially near the end. A good performance has an aspect of inevitability to it, where you have no doubt that all the right notes will be played cleanly and with conviction, and I was not there. On the second variation my time is bad on the slurs. I guess it helps me to have my tongue articulating to keep my fingers in time. I should practice it tongued and then do it slurred.

[Update 2/5] I have re-recorded the introduction to try to fix the sound problem in my first take. I think it sounds much better, but there are still a few subtle phrasing issues I would like to address.
Introduction take 2

[Update 2/10] I started working on the 3rd variation, so here is a very preliminary version. I am still working out how to conserve my air to get all the way through it with just one breath near the beginning, and my fingers still need a bit of work. I would like to get it about 20 clicks faster (up to around 180).
Variatation III

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home