12/14/2005

Something to Try

I am constantly experimenting with my students to find the best ways to teach them. I have been trying something new for the past few weeks that has led to immediate improvement for many of my students, including some huge range jumps and great improvement in accuracy and attacks. All you do is try to keep the tip of your tongue against the bottom of the bottom teeth at all times. Articulations are done on the bottom of the top teeth with the part of the tongue just behind the tip. As you ascend, push your tongue harder against your bottom teeth. Just mess around with it for a few minutes and see what happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

When I ascend every time I lift my tongue toward the roof of my mouth. I tried really hard to keep it down and apply pressure to my bottom teeth, but when I did that I couldn't produce a sound. By the way after 3 1/2 weeks of playing in the center of my mouth, I am now hitting an a comfortably.

11:30 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Jason said...

If this isn't working for you than I would stop. It works very well for some of my students, some it seems about the same, and some can't do it. Though I would guess that it is possible for everyone to learn how to do it's probably not worth it if you don't see fairly rapid improvement. I don't generally spend more than five minutes on it with students who show no benefit from it. I think that facial structure probably plays a big role in how easy it is to do. Just keep up what you are doing. It's good to hear that it is coming along.

2:08 AM, December 16, 2005  
Blogger Jason said...

Having said that though, I would still try to stop raising my tongue as you ascend. What the tongue is doing is helping the lips come together. Pay attention to what the lips do when you raise your tongue and then do it without raising your tongue. You want the only point of resistance in your airflow to be your lips.

2:11 AM, December 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home