10/28/2005

Helpful Exercises-continued

Instead of updating this post I am just writing a new post. I didn't give much guidance on how to practice this exercise previously, and I think that it warrants some additional consideration (trombones see here). The way that I always approached this exercise until recently was like this, concentrating on firmly articulated but tenuto (connected) notes. I still think that it is important and useful to practice it this way, but I have found recently that range can be greatly helped by practicing it like this. This staccato approach with very hard fronts forces the tongue to stay forward, and you should feel the corners of your lips draw towards each other as though they are trying to squeeze the tip of your tongue as you ascend. Don't shy away from it if it seems like you are tonguing too hard. Revel in that pop at the beginning of each note and feel your horn vibrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home