2/27/2006

Play Along

Jazz players have a long history of playing along with recordings, whether to transcribe a solo and learn to play it exactly how it was played on the record or to just jam along. Since I have split my time pretty evenly between jazz and classical I have done quite a bit of this. I just recently realized that it is at least as helpful for my classical playing as my jazz. I have always worked on phrasing by singing along with recordings, but it is completely different to actually play and try to perfectly match with your horn. I've learned quite a bit of subtle things in my playing in the last week from playing along with guys like Maurice Andre, Reinhold Freidrich, and Matthias Hofs. I think I will sit in with the Chicago Symphony tomorrow and see how well I can blend with Bud (this is where having a huge stack of orchestral parts comes in handy).

2 Comments:

Blogger centralcoastconservatorium said...

that's brilliant blog for music education.Brass Lessons is so good.

1:07 AM, March 14, 2014  
Anonymous Suman said...

Awesome blog.It is a helpful for music students.I am searching this type article.Because I love Music.Some days ago, I have read aboutTrumpet Lessons but this post is a better than that post.

5:49 AM, January 13, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home